Monday, May 28, 2012

Yummy, yummy milk!

I LOVE goat milk!!  

For those of you who read that sentence and immediately thought eeeewwwwww based on personal experience, you must have only had store-bought goat milk.  You know, the stuff in a carton that has been pasteurized, homogenized, and has sat around for too long.  That stuff doesn't taste like fresh goat milk.  It does, however, taste like you licked a goat.

Just to clarify, I like the taste of this:


Not this:

Picture showing Goat

What I'm talking about is the real deal--from the goat to your fridge to your table.  Nothing's better.  I can easily drink a gallon of the stuff (though I don't recommend drinking a gallon of anything in one sitting).  So you can imagine my excitement when a friend e-mailed and said that she was going to have some extra milk from her goats and would I like some.  YES, YES, YES!!!!

We all managed to control ourselves and only drank one glass each this evening (though I had to take a few extra sips from the kids' glasses, just to make sure the amounts were all even, you know).  And one of my daughters has a dairy allergy.  So I should probably drink her share, too.

I've been having the hankering lately to move back out to the country...milk goats of my own...hmmm...
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you guys liked it! I've never been a big fan of milk (Mom MADE me drink a glass every night at dinner) and decided that once I was "grown up" I wasn't going to drink it.

    Now that we have bottle fed calves, it bothers me that you can't feed store bought cow's milk to a baby cow. It's not that I wanted to, but it was interesting to me that after it's pasteurized and homogenized it's too "messed up" and not good for baby cows. It will give them scours (the "runs") and they can die. So, let's give it to people?

    Usually if products are tested on animals and prove to be harmful, they don't approve them for people.

    ALL of my kids have had an "issue" of some sort with milk. I couldn't have more than one serving of dairy a day while nursing or they would be spitting up constantly for the next 24 hours or so (not just a little burp, projectile!).

    Baby #4 got terrible rashes, runs and cried all the time when we started giving her store bought milk. She was doing okay on Lactose Free milk, but have you seen the price of that stuff? Now she is doing GREAT on goats milk!

    Last year when we had an abundance I would make ice cream, yogurt, pudding, milk gravy, etc. We love it!

    ReplyDelete