Tuesday, November 22, 2011

The Very Hungry Caterpillar Project - Tutorial

Our family loves the book The Very Hungry Caterpillar, by Eric Carle.


My kids love to read this book, but I wanted to make it more interactive.  I started by sketching all the foods the caterpillar eats through onto paper.



I then cut all the foods out of colored felt.  I glued on the embellishments at first, then I decided that it wouldn't be enough to stand up to lots of use.  So I added some stitches, too.



I then made a ribbon caterpillar.  I used green 3/8" grosgrain ribbon with a medium-sized red button head.  I sewed the button onto the ribbon.  I used a larger green button on the rear end of the caterpillar to hold the foods on as he eats through them.  I also drew on a smile and two antennae.


I cut slits in each of the foods, just large enough for the red button to pass through.  


Now the caterpillar can eat through all the foods he eats in the book!


This is so much fun for the kids, and it's great for education, too!  It helps them work on their counting (one apple, 2 pears, etc), it helps them work on figuring out sequence (what did he eat first, second, etc), and it even gives them practice on how to button a button!

If you decide to make your own food and caterpillar, please e-mail me pictures.  I'd love to see them!

Pin It

5 comments:

  1. This is fantastic! I'm pinning this most definitely. My daughter is obsessed with this book and I bet this would be perfect for her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great idea!!! I think I might have to do this for my son! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute! Pinned this as soon as I saw it and A Pinch of Joy will feature this later today! Hope you will stop by and grab a thank you bouquet from the button box!

    ReplyDelete