Friday, July 13, 2012

Vintage Treasures

I've spoken a couple of times about my grandma, who has Alzheimer's.  Several of us grandchildren have gotten some of her belongings.  My sister had gotten some of her sewing goodies and recently passed a bunch of them on to me!!

One of the first things I saw were these old tins.


I opened one to find it full of old wooden spools of thread.  


Most were marked 15 cents!!  And almost all were marked "fast to boiling" or "boilfast."  How glad I am that I don't live back in the days when they used washboards and boiled their clothes!


Some were super shiny, and I realized they were silk.  Look at those gorgeous colors!


Some of the spools still had needles attached.  I couldn't help but wonder what projects Grandma was working on.


These threads are too old to use, so I'm thinking of asking my hubby to make me something like this tree from Home Design Property to display them.


The bag my sister gave me was also full of TONS of vintage lace and trims.

It took me a while to get it all untangled and separated.  Grandma had some of it wound onto old hangers.  I separated it all out into storage bags.  Anybody have better storage ideas?






These trims were wound around an old thank-you card from my uncle to my great-grandparents, when my uncle was a kid.  So I'm not sure if Grandma never gave them the card or if these once belonged to my great-grandma.


There were also some old fabrics, buttons, snaps, etc.  But one of my absolute favorite items was this tape.


It doesn't look too exciting until you start reading the suggested uses for it.


Too bad it's probably not latex-free.  You never know when you might need a "stick" figure.

What vintage treasures have you come across lately?









Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment