Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Lengthening Dresses

A dear lady at church recently bought matching dresses for my older two girls.  These dresses are GORGEOUS!


The embroidery is beautiful.



Unfortunately, my 9-year-old's dress was just a bit too short.  It would have been ok for her to wear a couple of times, but that's it.  So I needed to lengthen it.  Not wanting them to be different, I decided to lengthen them both.

I was frantically getting ready for church camp at the time, so I ran to our local quilt shop for fabric, not wanting to spend the gas money and time to run all the way up to the large city.  Unfortunately, the only all-white fabric the local shop had was a muslin that was much too heavy for these light, airy dresses.  So I decided instead to match the embroidery.  I found this light and subtle printed fabric that I knew would work great!


I measured it out and ruffled it.  I didn't want to attach it to the bottom hem of the dress.  I wanted both the white and printed ruffles to be free-hanging.  So I attached it at the seam where the white ruffle was attached.  Here's the final result.  I'm thrilled with it!  And I'm kind of glad the shop didn't have any plain white cotton.  I really like the look of the bottom ruffle matching the embroidery instead.  It gives it more character.


Now this dress will fit my daughter for a while.  Yay!!


What projects are you working on?



Pin It

3 comments:

  1. They turned out lovely! They are such darling dresses. Thank you for sharing it at Make it Pretty Monday at The Dedicated House. Hope to see you again next week, Wishing you a grand 4th. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute! You would never guess that those were added too, you did a great job! Hope you had a great Fourth! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its the cutest! As she grows you can just add a ruffle huh? Very nice.

    ReplyDelete