Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Kale Chips

Ok, so I'll take a break from the Star Wars shirt posts today to talk about kale chips!  I love chips.  Who doesn't?  Even my two-year-old begs for chips all the time.  There are a lot of chips who masquerade as health-food, by throwing words like "spinach," "tomato," etc into the ingredients.  But in reality, they're typically little more than colored potato chips.  Still yummy, still unhealthy.

Enter kale chips.  Kale is super healthy--one of the so-called "superfoods."  I add it to our smoothies sometimes, but it takes a lot of fruit to cover its very strong flavor.


Then I learned about baking it into kale chips!  It's quick, easy, and yummy.  Start by preheating your oven to 350*.



Then wash and dry the kale.  Then tear pieces of it off into chip-sized pieces and putting them on a cookie sheet (I lined mine with parchment paper for easier clean up).


Then drizzle or spray oil over them.  Many recipes call for olive oil, I used safflower.  Rather than drizzling, I used my Misto oil sprayer.  (If you don't have a Misto, you need to get one!!  You fill it half way with whatever type of oil you prefer.  The lid acts as a pump, and you manually pump it to fill the bottle with pressure.  It then sprays your oil using nothing but the pressure you pumped into it--no aerosols, no chemicals, and it's stainless steel.  We LOVE it!)  Then sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss, to make sure they're all coated.


Bake for 10 minutes, and you have a healthy, crunchy chip!



My kids LOVE these!  The first batch I ever made, I got one chip.  My husband didn't get any.  My 2-and-4-year-olds inhaled almost all the rest before I could even get myself a second chip.

Now, if I could only find a recipe for healthy donuts...

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment