Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Knitting a Baby Hat

Ok, so I had a midwife appointment the other day and found out that I'm already dilated past 4 but still not in labor!  No wonder my labors are so fast and hard!  So, of course I need to fill my time over the next day or two, until she makes her appearance.  And since I don't have enough projects sitting around waiting to be finished, I decided to start another one.  =)

When Little Love #5 was an infant, she had the cutest little white crocheted hat that I was able to clip hair clips to.  It was ADORABLE!!!  Unfortunately, around the brim was an elastic thread.  She's severely allergic to latex, and we're limiting the new baby's exposure to latex, so the hat had to go.  I wanted one like it, though, so I decided to make my own!

I started by getting a round knitting loom (and why not get a set with lots of different sizes, while I'm at it?!?)  This is the Knifty Knitter set, purchased at Michaels.


I already had some really cute and thin cotton yarn, white with lightly colored specks, that I knew would be perfect for this project.  So I went ahead, read the instructions, and got started.


This was seriously one of the fastest, easiest projects I've ever done.  And I even took the time to teach my 8-year-old daughter how to do it.  Here's the end result (and yes, I know that this is one of the ugliest dolls in creation--and I have no idea who colored on her face--but it was the closest one we had to life-size).


Start-to-finish was well under 2 hours, and that was while taking breaks to show my daughter how to do it, finishing up the day's school lessons with both of my oldest, and taking potty breaks (after all, I do have an 8+ lb baby sitting on my bladder).

I LOVE how it turned out, and it's perfect for putting hair clips onto.  This was a definite success!!

So, if you're looking for a FAST, EASY, and ADORABLE project, I'd highly recommend this.  I can't wait to try out some other projects on these looms!

Do you knit on round looms?  What have you made?
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment