Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Latex Allergy Awareness Week!

I can't believe that I almost forgot to mention that it's Latex Allergy Awareness Week!!

There are so many dangers of latex all around you, that most people simply aren't aware of.  While traveling home from vacation, we stopped at a fast-food restaurant to grab some food for my hubby and I (I brought food along for the kiddos).  I ran in, and they had bouquets of balloons.  Had I taken Little Love #5 in there, she could have gone anaphylactic.  Even me just walking in, some of the dust from the balloons could land on my clothes and still give her a reaction.

One of my favorite restaurants to eat at is Applebee's.  I was thrilled to find that our local one no longer has balloons in the lobby.  However, they use latex gloves when preparing food in the kitchen.  That means that everybody who eats there is eating latex.  I had an allergic reaction there recently, while eating with some friends (that's how I learned about them using latex in the kitchen).  I'm not 100% sure what caused it, but I'm worried that it was the latex.  Not only is it dangerous for people eating there, but it's highly likely that one or more of their employees will develop the allergy from wearing the gloves daily.  But Applebee's is not interested in changing their corporate policy for their customers or their own people.

Lately, I've seen a lot of people doing lots of things with latex balloons:  wreaths, science experiments, etc.  People don't think twice about it, and I can't blame them.  I never did, either.  But now I can't look at a balloon without thinking of the fact that it could take my daughter's life in an instant.

Check out the American Latex Allergy Association site for all sorts of facts about latex allergy.  Educate yourself and limit the exposure of you and your family so that you don't develop this horrible and life-threatening allergy.

Have a wonderful and safe latex-free week!! Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment