Thursday, March 1, 2012

Make Your Own Hair Gel

I love spiking baby boys' hair.  But my kids all have very sensitive skin, so I didn't want to chance using some chemical-laden product on their tiny little heads.  Then I learned how to make my own hair gel (I'm sorry, but I can't remember where I got the original recipe).  It's so easy and so cheap!!

All you need is some unflavored gelatin and hot water.


The original recipe called for 1/2 cup hot water to 1/4 tsp of gelatin.  (I've always added a bit more gelatin to it than that).  Dissolve the gelatin in the water and allow to cool.  Store it in the refrigerator, or make just enough for a single use each time.

How strong the hold is and how stiff it is totally depends on how much gelatin you add to the water.  The amount in the original recipe is not stiff or super holding.  So play with it a bit.  I like to throw it in the fridge and let it set up into a gel consistency before I use it.  It's easier to deal with that way.  You can also add essential oils if you want it to smell good.

I'd love to show you a demo picture, but my boys all have hair too short.  I recently cut my hair short again, but it's not short enough to spike this time.  =(  

So, I need pics!  If you try this and like it, please email me a picture I can post here!!

Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Does it dry stiff? Does it hold well? Super interested in trying this. =)

    ReplyDelete