Wednesday, July 13, 2011

To Sew or Not To Sew...

I'm a hair clippie addict.  I admit it.  And I don't think there's any chance I'll ever be rehabilitated.  And that's ok with me.  I have 3 daughters, ages 8, 4, and 19 months (with a couple of boys in between).  That's a lot of hair to brush and style before church on Sunday morning.  Some people do fancy braiding, things that look like they took hours.  By the time my girls are in their car seats for the hour it takes to get to church, braids look like well-used velcro.  You know the look, all fuzzy and sticking out everywhere.  So ponytails are the way to go.  I especially like 2 ponies.  And once you throw a cute hair clip on them, it immediately looks like you've got everything together.  So many times I've heard, "Wow, you must spend a lot of time doing their hair."  And I'm thinking, You do realize they just have ponytails with a clip in it, right?  It took all of about 30 seconds.  Instead, I say, "Yeah, I slave over it."  Ok, not really, but you get the point.

I am what I've come to call a gluer.  I love my glue gun!  I end up with spider webs of that stuff everywhere.  Other people must be gluers, too.  How often do you see bow/clippie tutorials that say "No-sew..."  Glue is fast, easy, and has immediate results.  Here are some of my girls' clips:


They look like I slaved over them, fashioning the little ribbons into bears, elephants, lions, giraffes, and butterflies, adding beads, etc, and sewing everything in place, right?  Oh, no.  I bought them at the store and glued them onto ribbon-lined clips!

And these:


Flowers and buttons from the craft store, glued in layers onto ribbon-lined clips.

So imagine my surprise when my neighbor and friend, Brooke, came over Monday night for a hair-clip-making party and said, "I need to show you how to make these adorable bows!  And they're no-glue, just sew!"  I felt like covering my poor glue-gun's ears.  No glue?  What is this craziness?  Then, in five minutes tops, she showed me how to make these beauties:


So maybe I'm now a gluer and/or sewer when it comes to hair clips.  Just don't tell my glue gun.  What about you?  Are you a gluer or a sewer?

(This post is on the Tea Rose Home post party today!  Click the button in the sidebar to see what other things people are making.) Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment