Saturday, July 23, 2011

Anybody wanna clean my house for me?

So, we just had a full week of Vacation Bible School at our church.  Our church is an hour away from here, so an hour there in the car, 2 hours of songs, lessons, crafts, and snacks, an hour back home, plus any errands that needed to be run.  All done with 5 kids 8-and-under and me still in my first trimester of my current pregnancy.  Needless to say, I'm exhausted!!  (But I got to hear the baby's heartbeat for the first time on Thursday!  What a glorious sound!!)

And my house is a wreck.  I didn't get much housework done this week.  The dishes are clean, because we need something to eat off of.  But I'm behind on laundry (though that only takes a day or two to get behind, so I'm rarely fully caught up), though I did cheat and use disposable diapers all week.  I know, I know, but I went for the convenience.  I have dog hair tumbleweeds blowing around, laundry that needs to be washed, bedrooms that need to be straightened up.  And no, I won't post pictures!

To top it all off, I'm out of white vinegar, my main cleaning product.


Vinegar is like a magic potion.  It has so many uses!!  It's antimicrobial, deodorizing, and has good scrubbing power.  I use it to scrub my counters, table tops, and sinks.  I use it to wipe down the toilet.  Mixed with some baking soda it does great at cleaning burnt-on messes on the stove and clearing out clogged drains.  Did you know it also works as a fabric softener?  My kids are allergic to fabric softeners, and even a dryer sheet thrown in with their clothes leaves enough residue to give them horrible rashes.  So I use a Downy ball, but I put white vinegar in it, instead.  Again, it helps clean and deodorize the clothes (it also helps rinse out residue from detergents), but it also helps soften and cut down on static when the clothes are dried.  My kids aren't allergic to it so I can use it anywhere, and you don't have to wear gloves while cleaning with it because it's not poisoning you to be on your skin.  It's gentle on the environment (unlike my disposable diapers this week!).  To top it all off, it's yummy in a salad!  You can't say that about Soft Scrub!  =)  

So, my house really needs a good cleaning.  On the other hand, I have some beautiful fabrics like these just waiting to be put to good use...


These are all jerseys, and I have a wonderful dress/leggings combo planned for them that will hopefully appear here soon.  Aren't they gorgeous?!?!?  I'm going to do a long-sleeved dress to add a splash of color to this fall and winter!

I've got several more projects just waiting to be completed, too, but the housework keeps beckoning.  So, do you want to come clean my house for me so I can do something fun?

Pin It

1 comment:

  1. I also use vinegar in my washing machine. I have a fabric softener dispenser (kind of funnel or coned shaped that fits in the middle of my machine) underneath it would grow black mold until I switched over the vinegar!

    I wanted to let you know a tip I found to cut down/or eliminate static in the dryer. Safety pins! I learned about it online. Basically attach some safety pins to laundry (I picked a clean/old sock so, I didn't have to attach pins to each load of wet laundry).

    ReplyDelete