Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Sausage and Rice Skillet -- Gluten-Free!

Here's another one of our favorite recipes.  It's sooooooo easy to make and easy to change-it-up for some variety.  Can you tell we like sausage?  And rice?  And cheese?  (If you missed my last cheesy sausage recipe, catch it here.)

Here's what goes into it:

3 cups rice (measured dry)
1 lb sausage (any kind)
beans (any kind), however much you want
corn (canned, fresh, or frozen), however much you want
stewed tomatoes (canned or make your own)
cheese

Start your rice cooking.  Once again, I use my rice cooker so that I don't even have to think about it again until I'm ready for it.


While that's cooking, get out your sausage.  My absolute favorite sausage for this meal is Whole Foods' spinach feta chicken sausage.  It's soooooooo delicious!!


My Mr. Man's favorite in this is chorizo.  We've made this recipe using all different kinds of sausage.  Each one adds its own flavor, so that's an easy way to add variety to this recipe.  I usually throw in whatever we happen to have around.  If you're making this recipe gluten-free, make sure that your sausage and other ingredients are all gluten-free.

Squeeze your sausage out of its casing and brown it.


Once it's browned, you'll be adding everything else.  If you have a large skillet, you'll be able to do everything in it.  If not, put your sausage into a large pot and add everything there.

Add your cooked rice...


...add your stewed tomatoes...


...add your beans (this is another way to add variety to this meal.  My favorites in this recipe are black beans, but I'll grab whatever I happen to have the most of in the freezer.  Right now it's pinto beans, so pinto it is!)...


...and add your corn.


Mix it all up and let it cook until it's all heated through.


Once it's all finished, top with cheese.  I typically use a fiesta blend, but right now I have a huge bag of cheddar, so I used that.  See how much you can switch this up and how easy it is to just use whatever you have on-hand?  I typically scoop some out for my Little Love #5 before I add the cheese, since she's severely allergic to dairy.  However, since the sausage I used already had cheese in it, she can't eat this batch anyway.


Once the cheese is melted, it's ready to enjoy!  Mr. Man loves eating it on chips.  I love simply eating it with a fork.  

So go make some and let me know what your favorite sausage and bean combo is!
Pin It

3 comments:

  1. That looks sooo good! My sister in law has to eat gluten free so I love to find a good new meal to make. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That looks delicious! Thanks for sharing! Have a Nice Day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Made this for dinner tonight with spicy sausage and black beans....super yummy! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete